Monday, December 19, 2016

Book Paper Tree – Decorated with Pressed Garden Leaves

A simple book paper tree, with a low impact on the budget and the environment.  This genus is easy on the eye, and is recreated from 3 recycled books – (which originally came from trees themselves).
This one has been decorated with pressed leaves from my garden.  The flattened fauna was attached with gem clips, and lends an airy botanical feel to the tree.
The tree can be decorated with all sorts of ornaments.  Use mini wooden pegs to keep trinkets in place, or slide paper cards or decor in-between the pages.

Created from books of various sizes and assembled in incremental size order.
Books can be bought from your local charity.  Speak to them about the ones that are not selling and are on their way to be pulped.

Pressed Leaves –

I used Cape Honeysuckle leaves from my garden.  I layered them between sheets of newspaper and pressed them in a pile of old books.  Remember to use at least 3 or 4 sheets of newspaper between the leaves, so that the moisture is not absorbed into the book pages.

Book Paper Tree – Additional hints

Choose books that have flexible spines.  Some books have thick stiff spines, and won’t bend into a lovely round.
Remove the cover from each book.  You will need between 120 to 150 pages to work with.  Remember that book pages are numbered on both sides, so if your are using the page numbers as a guide, you will have to look for double the number.
If the book has too many pages, use a craft knife along the spine of the book to cut the excess pages off.
Further Inspiration –

Monday, October 10, 2016

Depression Glass Collection? Rose Gold Glass with Copper

Collecting – Rose Gold Glass with Copper
The title of this post has nothing to do with my current state of mind!  There's a whole story behind it...
Rose gold is the term I used to describe the colour of this collection of vintage glassware.  We collected bits and pieces over the past few months for a special family wedding.   Now that the memories of a wonderful day are safely packed away, I am enjoying the collection on display for a while in my home.

Many similar items for sale online are referred to as Depression Glass.  Why – Because that’s when it was first made in great quantities – From the late 1920s to the early 1940s machine moulded glass in many shapes, sizes and patterns was produced –  not only in pink like my collection, but in a variety of other colours too – amber, green, clear, pale blue, red and yellow.
But most, if not all, of my collection is not Depression glass.  Many of the pieces are ARCOROC and were produced in the early 1980s as a response to Vintage Depression glass becoming collectable.  Most of the pieces I have are from a swirling lined range with the pretty name of Rosaline.

The joy of this is not the actual value of the pieces, but the effect of grouping random bits, which on their own may have been unimpressive, but with their light warm colour in common, together they have a huge appeal
Source – Thanks to Mark and Mikey for their informative articles –
Mikey Fuller – Depression Glass

Monday, October 03, 2016

A Freshly Found Wood Work Story

The Wood Work Story

I am a collector of random goodies. The vibrant rhythm of similar items grouped together really energises me
I have been drawn to wooden items – in particular wood work that ‘works’ for us.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Book Print Paper Roses

 A Fresh batch of an old favourite☺ Read more about us making some up for your special function over here

Monday, June 27, 2016

Dip Dyed Serviettes – A Vibrant Dinner Decor Project

A fun and super quick way to give a dinner party a vibrant hand-crafted touch.  Instructions to quickly dip-dye serviettes or napkins in diluted food colouring, allow to dry and use! How to video below.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Paper Apples – handcrafted from books

We are keen to explore new directions in our paper work for clients, and were delighted to make up some paper apple prototypes from recycled books.  The apple shape, is a bit like the heart shape – familiar, simple and pleasing with soft curves. We were very happy with the outcome.
Did you know that the apple is actually part of the rose [rosaceae] family?  We’ve made plenty of paper roses, so I guess paper apples are a natural progression!

Monday, June 20, 2016

Paper Strelitzia Buttonholes

The Strelitzia is a vibrant indigenous South African flower – also known as The Bird of Paradise Flower or the Crane Flower.  It’s name suits it’s bright and angular appearance!
It was lovely to make a set of buttonholes for a wedding with a strelitzia theme.  They were cut from Book print paper before being painted and assembled.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Rose Bouquets – Paper Blooms for a Very Special Occasion

We have been commissioned to create a number of paper rose bouquets for an upcoming wedding.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Stage Design of Hanging Paper Leaves

Recently I was involved in designing a paper installation for an exciting stage backdrop. The stage decor team at my church CityHill Hillcrest, decided on a paper leaf theme to coincide with Autumn and to have an beautiful opportunity to recycle discarded office paper.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Freshly Found Showcase - Mini Paper Proteas

Over the past 6 months, we have navigated 2 house/office/studio moves.  We are happily settling down into our new space which has a magnificent view over the Krantzkloof Gorge.