Thursday, February 07, 2008

Deco Durbs

My home city - Durban is rich with Art Deco architecture! Our good friend - Charles Wilkins - has a unique house that adds huge value to the Art Deco heritage in Durban. His entire home is full of Art Deco artefacts, which he has refurbished and collected from all over - Durban, South Africa and the world. It has been so much fun helping him to arrange his collection - and in the process I have learnt about a style and era I hardly knew anything about before.
Next week some time I'll tell you more about his home and Durban as an Art Deco destination!

6 comments:

Heloise said...

I can't believe my eyes, I have a ship mirror just like that which I bought years ago and have been meaning to have fixed (never mind restored)for as long. It's missing some mirror pieces. Does your friends piece have a history?

Estelle said...

Oh dear, I had to look up the meaning of "Art deco architecture".
But will now be on the look-out here in Jozi!
You really do enjoy decorating, don't you!

Alexander Santillanes said...

Wow, looks awesome. I've never made it to Durban, but this gives me one more reason to go. -X

protocolinpractice said...

Hey there
Thanks for using my article on Durban - I have lived here for almost 14 years and love it. The Deco buildings are wonderful, I hope they renovate more of them

Denise Kiggan said...

Reply from Charles for Heloise

I found the mirror in a second hand antique shop in East London about 4 years ago (see photo of mirror in shop )- bought it for R 500 and its in orignial and good condition.Its possible for your friend to have th emissing pieces replaced by cutting cardboard templates of the missing pieces and getting a local glass/mirror shop to cut new pieces.I can also lend her my mirror if she is on Durban

regards
charles

Unknown said...

Divine ship mirror!!!