Wednesday, May 28, 2008

How We ate a Delicious Monster!

A while ago I showed the beautiful Delicous Monster flowers in my garden. The flowers have faded now, leaving the "Fruit". I picked some to make an interesting table decoration. I love taking what I find outside - inside to add interest to my home.

I had a feeling that the fruit was edible. So I did a bit of research and found that it did in fact taste like a combination of banana, mango and pineapple. The secret is that the green tiles must start to loosen. If you eat it before that, the fruit will contain too much oxalic acid and burn your mouth. We plucked up courage and tried it and it was - Delicious! We shared it with guests on the weekend too. But don't take my word for it. Check it out here, here and here.

10 comments:

Heloise said...

Well, I never can I show something of this please?

Steffi said...

Wow...that´s looks interesting for me because I never see such plant before!I love to see new things!Thank you for sharing!
Have a nice day!

Can I link you in my blog?
Steffi

kat said...

I have definitely learn't something today! We have 2 enormous Delicious Monsters in our garden! Now I know that they're actually delicious : )

Estelle said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!
The fruit looks kindof prehistoric, don't you think?
I can imagine that your guests have told everyone about the experience!

Such a brave and inventive person you are (-:

Jesse said...

Wow! I've always wondered about those. Now I know I can try them!

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

wow! that's so interesting. I love the display for the table :)

Unknown said...

Very interesting!
We've always had this plant in our garden and only a few years ago we noticed the fruit. Someone told us that this was edible but we've never tried because we didn't know how to.
Let me go back home and I'll pick some up! Thank you for such an useful information :-)

Anonymous said...

cool site. cool photos. putting them in a cup like pencils is odd. interesting though.

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise, just been given a delicious monster fruit; will the "tiles" still come off once picked? Dying to try it. Cherry

Denise Kiggan said...

Hi Cherry
Yes, as it ripens, even once it is picked, the tiles will eventually start to loosen! Enjoy!