Friday, September 05, 2008

Table Tut!

I decided to try my hand at making my own Folded Magazine Side Table after showing this one last week. It is quite delightful and adds a dose of colour and humour to my living room! I topped it with a display of vintage silver dishes.
I love it when my home evokes reaction from visitors, and this 'table' certainly has! ...What is it? ...How did you make it?
This is how you can make one too: You will need 4 magazines with good quality pages.
Open the magazine and take 6 pages at a time. Roll the outside edge of the pages to the centre of the magazine. Keep going round until all the pages have been 'folded' in this way. Do not make a sharp creased fold, just a gentle roll fold. There is no need to glue or stick - the pressure of the folds keeps everything in place.
Finally take the 2 cover pages and fold them in half - outwards. This must be a sharp fold.
Repeat with the next magazine - then position these 2 semi-circles back to back. Staple the 2 covers together, close to the spines of the mags to join into 1 circle. Repeat with the other 2 magazines and then stack the 2 cylinders on top of each other. I separated the layers with a tray, but they can be stacked directly on top of one another. Enjoy! And when you are over your table - recycle responsibly!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! You did such a great job and added such wonderful personal touches. Wonderful!

Estelle said...

OH!
MY!
GOODNESS!
That is beeeautiful. I love the trays in between - it gives a sense of being a table, but also looks like a magazine display.
Thanks for the instructions too - that makes it even more special.
I wish I was close enough to be one of your guests who pops in to see the Real thing!!!

Anonymous said...

That is completely divine! It has totally inspired me about the ones you folded for me!

Anonymous said...

yeah ! great idea !!!!

Jesse said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I love the trays added inbetween.

eilandkind/islandchild said...

great idea and yours look really good.

Anonymous said...

thanx Denise! Milos is a marvellous isle.

please sir said...

You are so creative - this is a wonderful idea!

Anairam said...

This looks beautiful! (Now I am sorry I've thrown away a stack of old magazines). I have a couple of old VISI's though - I think I'm going to try something similar!

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :=

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

A great idea. I design table top displays for a small gift shop in the Angel Museum, Beloit Wi. This idea of using mags and books has made a hit with shoppers. So glad I found you great idea.

Radulescu Laura said...

I liked your idea very much and i managed to make something similar for my office desk. Here you can see it :) http://franjuri.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/suport-decorativ-din-reviste/

Laura said...

Love, love, love...couldn't leave the page til I made one...kinda glad I got that free magazine subscription now!

Thanks for the great instructions!

A Creative Operation said...

I am totally making one of these! Thanks for sharing!

A Creative Operation said...

I am totally making one of these! Thanks for sharing!