Friday, January 16, 2009

Vintage Sketches

I am the proud owner of a number of Vintage Crochet Books. [I got the pattern for the Hexagons from one of them.] So when I was shopping yesterday, I really should not have bought yet another one. But the illustrations won me over and I was soon on my way home with "The Complete Book of Crochet" by Elizabeth Mathieson published in 1946!
The sketch of this elegant lady makes us realise that " Filet [is]...The Ultimate in Fine Crochet" This Pic illustrated the chapter on crocheting Potholders and Hot Plate Mats: This one accompanied "Doilies to Place and Show":

The whimsical one at the top illustrated the Chapter on Twin Sets. The author said that things were usually better when they came in pairs!
What a delightful glimpse back in time!

7 comments:

Jesse said...

I'm struck by the excellent posture of the seated ladies, particularly the one crocheting!

eilandkind/islandchild said...

that's gorgeous

Michelle Parks McCourt said...

oh these are great, i love the detail.

Denise Kiggan said...

Yes, they brought me lots of delight. I love the simplicity of the drawings!

kendalee said...

Adorable! All those women so beautifully groomed and turned out for housework... Just like me really ;)

Estelle said...

Wow, those would be quite something to tackle!!! I think I'll stick to squares that come out more like circles or trapeziums.
(-:

Estelle said...

Ok, so I had a "moment" when I commented - became confused and later realised they were not meant to be embroidered, which has nothing to do with crocheting!!!! Hmmm. Very domesticated, I am...