Monday, June 08, 2009

Wonderful South Africa

Wonderful South Africa is a 512 page vintage book I found last week. We have enjoyed paging through this thick pictorial volume from the 1930s. Not only are the pictures interesting and entertaining, the captions polite and naive, but much of the terminology used is so politically incorrect today. As we enjoy living in a post apartheid South Africa now, this book was published before apartheid was legislated, which makes it an interesting social study.
A first for me was to see this picture of Zebra inspanned on the mail coach!The caption states that "Patience and persistence must have gone to the training of the team, for the zebra is notoriously difficult to domesticate and refuses to show sympathy with man in any way!"

8 comments:

Estelle said...

It looks like a gem. Ja, so much of the past is scary to remember, but I think it's a universal problem. I just love the zebra comment!

Estelle said...

It's cold and raining here - rain in June in Gauteng! I'd rather be having a picnic with those folks at the river. (Do you think it's the Vaal?)

ELK said...

what a delight ...such artistry in the simple images

Monika said...

Pictures remind me of a much simplier life. The zebra comment is funny :-)

Anairam said...

What a find! I liked the zebra caption - in fact I am a little like a zebra myself, in many respects ...

kendalee said...

What a great find! Fascinating stuff. I was going to say that I can relate to that zebra attitude and I see I'm in good company as Anairam has beaten me to it!

Estelle said...

(I can just picture psychologists coming up with "The Zebra Syndrome" after reading this blog)

Fine Little Day said...

Good find, looks like an interesting book.