Friday, October 25, 2013

Thoughts on Hummingbirds

I don't think I've seen a hummingbird in real life.  Here in Southern Africa, we have similar sunbirds, but no true hummingbirds. 
We've seen a couple of hummingbird images on the net in the last few days with the unfolding of the Woolworths / Euodia Roets plagiarism saga.
I was asked to come up with some origami ornament options for a client, so I decided to make up a version of this sweet news-worthy bird.
I folded some paper prototypes for my client, and then created these 2 for myself - worked with a paper and fabric layer together.

    
The thin sari fabric is fairly easy to work with, and covers the predictable book print that I so often use :-)


Random Facts:
  • Hummingbirds are the smallest birds.
  • They are the only birds that can fly backwards.
  • The humming sound comes from the rapid beat of their wings
  • Read a variety of interesting responses to the Hummingbird Plagiarism Tale at Touchee Feelee, Woolworths, fin24 and Reluctant Mom 
Ref Wikipedia

1 comment:

Fathima said...

Love these! And well done for putting your own spin on it ;)