Thursday, September 17, 2015

Chalk Painted Cut-Glass

 
My granny loved cut-glass.  I remember her visiting our home, and as a huge favour to my mom, she would wash the cut-glass collection that she had passed on to my mom and that now decorated the sideboard in our diningroom. I remember the sense of pride we all had as the pieces were placed back all bright and gleaming.
A few years on, I remember how uncool cut-glass became.  It was easy to find in vintage stores, because no-one wanted it any more.
But now all is forgiven.  Cut-glass has a place in a different sort of way.
I had some pieces that had mineral stains from being used as vases.  I had tried, unsuccesfully to clean them, so I thought I’d colour them instead.



The vases were coated with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  I diluted the paint with a little water to make it slightly more liquid.
I poured the paint in, then rolled the bottle around until the inside was evenly coated.
Here is an overview of how it was done.



Note – The paint can take a long time to dry, and you may need to re-roll the vase to keep the coating even.
Try to add as little water as possible.  Using a hairdryer can help the drying process.

Do you Know - What is Crystal Glass?

Ordinary glass has been made for thousands of years and was a product of most ancient cultures. The ancients also began using crystal in its native form of rock crystal for beads, figurines, and dishes. In attempts to imitate nature, man began making glass that was termed crystal by adding metals to change the character of the glass, and lead was found to be the most successful of these additives. Lead crystal produces a product with a ringing sound (without the tin quality of ordinary glass), it is strong and durable, and it has a curious warmth to the touch. Best of all, lead crystal has a brilliant, silvery appearance that is enhanced by cutting.



No comments: