Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Skye Scraper!

My friend Skye Pengelly is studying Fashion design. I asked her to send me some pics of her final fashion design project.

Her brief went something like this... 50's style dress, empire line, full skirt, 2m of calico, 2 and 3 dimensions, dye, print and embellish.

Skye did something like this... fabric paint/bubble wrap for a honeycombed effect print, silk screen botanic design, fabric roses , tea-dyeing, frayed edges, a lot of fun!

I love the ingenuity of using bubble wrap to print the fabric. [You can see this in the top pic!] Well done Skye! The top twenty dresses will be exhibited at "Manna" in Durban some time this year. I certainly plan to be there!

12 comments:

LISEN said...

Lovely!

Thanks fr your kind words on my blog. Glad you enjoyed your lazy afternoon at my place ;-)

NIFTY FOR TOMORROW said...

The designs, color combo and fall are really good. Your friend is very creative. Please ask her to send some more designs if she has.

Stash said...

gorgeous, thanks so much for sharing
Skye's work

kat said...

Lovely, especially the subtle white on white print.

JP.Brouard said...

Hey thanks for leaving a comment on my blog the other day. The thrift list is coming along nicely.

Please also let me know when this event at Manna is going down.

Many thanks

JP

Heloise said...

That looks like as much fun as it looks good! I love the layers of real and visual texture.

Unknown said...

OMG, fresh - i so remember skye when she was at junior school!! (i know her mum) who would've guessed - fashion! i'm so impressed with her gorgeous work. well done skye dear, if you're reading (and lots of love to you all)

Anonymous said...

These dresses are so romantic! Love them.

Anonymous said...

thanks to have added me in your links :)

Jesse said...

Printing with bubble wrap is an inspired idea! It's a beautiful dress.

NIFTY FOR TOMORROW said...

The designs which I saw was really fresh and mind blowing. Skye can please give me some designs for mens wear collection you can email me on babunvn@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Using bubble wrap to print is not revolutionary at all considering the 2 and 3D lecturer at DUT makes all the 1st years do it year after year. Try hard, but unfortunately not hard enough.