Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Kerplunk Cake!

Things here are frenetic! Friday is the official launch of the Freshly Found Online Shop at my home - and plans are that the site will go live by the end of the day! It is an online shop, but I have decided to mark the occasion by having some friends and family round on the day! The food is going to have a South African theme. We came across Madeleine van Biljoen's Pardoemskoek Recipe. It is basically a fruit cake with so much fruit that as it hits your stomach it sinks to the bottom with a heavy pardoems [in Afrikaans] or kerplunk[in English]! Just the type of cake I love! So we've baked it and made the pastry for some biltong tarts and the crust for some Hertzog Koekies and bought some koeksusters and are ordering some veg Biryani. A friend is bringing Samp and Beans and we are hoping to make ginger beer today. [Friends and family - consider yourself invited. Contact me for details!]

9 comments:

Jesse said...

Yum! Good luck with the rest of the preparations.

Estelle said...

Such ingenuity in your menu!
How I wish your were closer...

Leslie said...

I have never eaten or heard of any of the things on your menu (except the ginger beer). I love the internet for teaching us new things each day and allowing us to share such things. Congratulations on your store opening! I'll be sure to tweet about it :-)

dinkum design said...

Yummy! such good hearty South African food. Not even the weather could put a damper on that menu. Now I feel like some Biryani. I'm sure your table decor is going to be special too. Looking forward to browsing your new shop.

Scallywags Scribbles said...

Congratulations! I have followed your blog, its always so inspiring and I look forward to your online shop. I too am excited about the opening of my shop on 1st october.

Odete said...

Congratulations on the opening of your store. Hope all goes well and that you are blessed in abundance.

Monika said...

Everything sounds delicious! Congratulations on your store opening!!!

Alexander Santillanes said...

Sounds like quite a feast! I've never heard of this cake, but it sounds quite tasty-- what fruits do you use? -X

Down Pillow said...

Mmmm...everything sounds so yummy :)