Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Limoges Scarf Cushion

I have been doing a bit of research into one of the cushion covers I recently added to my etsy shop.
It is made from a silk[?] scarf, which is decorated with trinket boxes. The research has revealed that these are probably what is known as Limoges Boxes - small hand-painted Porcelain boxes made in Limoges France. Most Limoges are hand painted and always have hinged lids. Quite a few different boxes are illustrated on the scarf -

Limoges boxes are still manufactured today. Read about this interesting porcelain art here. I have learnt a lot, but there is still more I would love to know about the scarf itself.

3 comments:

Estelle said...

The detail on the scarf is beautiful!
Now this is the kind of history that is fascinating.
Enjoy...

Estelle said...

Of course this got me googling too. Isn't it simply amazing how many articles there are on scarves and limoges? Now to find the right keywords to get the right info...

LimogesBoxCollector said...

What a great find! I have never seen textile with images of Limoges boxes!